Sunday, October 30, 2011

Wild Things Part 1

Ben and I are both big fans of Maurice Sendak's classic Where the Wild Things Are. In fact, the copy I read to Ben is the copy I had as a child. He has memorized all of Max's lines to call out when we're reading it: "I eat you up!" "Let the wild rumpus start!" "Now stop!" When I asked him if he'd like a wolf costume like Max for Halloween, he said yes.

Just for a visual reference, check this out:
Oh, Max. You naughty boy.

Now here's Ben's version of Max. I just attached ears, buttons, whiskers, and a tail to a white sweatsuit. He was pretty comfortable in it.
Our first event was our town's Halloween on Main Street. Every Friday night before Halloween the town cuts off traffic on Main Street, and you can trick or treat at all the businesses and library, etc. Thousands of people show up in really excellent costumes. My favorite this year was a boy dressed as a headless man, carrying his own head.

Ben trick-or-treated several places, greeted with plenty of "aawww, how cute!" from those doling out candy.
Then he got tired of walking and Chris carried him home.
The next post will contain photos from our party!

1 comment:

Jackamo said...

Ben looks super cute, but I'm wondering where the photo of the headless kid is. Hello?