Monday, September 15, 2008

Beco Carrier

As far as we can tell, the first few weeks of Ben's life have been a continuous growth spurt with just a few days (nay, HOURS) of respite. He wants to eat all the time and poop and fuss the rest of the time. I guess that's not news to you other parents, but I spend most of the days when Ickie isn't here debating whether showering or eating lunch is a higher priority, as Ben will wake up screaming after a 10-minute nap in his bassinet.

Today I finally broke out the Beco Butterfly Carrier, the one purchase I was insistent on back when Ben was the size of a peanut. I had been waiting to use this carrier because I wanted to make sure he had enough head support, but the sling wasn't quite doing the trick: he looked worrisomely contorted, it made my back ache, and he was only happy if the carrier was moving at a brisk pace. Ben fussed while I adjusted and readjusted the Beco for its maiden voyage, but once in it, he quieted immediately and fell asleep soon after. He has been so still in it for the past hour that I'd worry if I couldn't feel his breath on my chest. His head is supported better than when I'm holding him, my back feels fine, and he's even content for me to sit still. I'm extremely grateful to JP for letting me test out her Beco carrier when she visited last fall.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear that you're getting a little relief with the Beco. We used our Baby Bjorn a lot, and still do for that matter. JT likes to help me with housework, though I'm a little hesitant to cook with him (despite the fact that I have). I hope that you're both able to get some extra rest using it in coming days.

Katie said...

Oooh! I like that Carrier! By the way, have you heard of the Happiest Baby On the Block? There's a cd with sounds of the womb to help with getting babies to sleep (we used to put it on repeat for hours sometimes!) but there's also a "Happiest baby" method of swaddling for those in between fussy times. It helped with Finn.